counter

Sunday, April 19, 2009

Its that time again everyone, and it is ya boy here with the updates. Well let me get right into about Kobe. WOW! We met up with our new friend Loic, who when you read this thank you very much once again. He was an awesome guy as well as his friends who were locals.

We started off about 6pm by walking around the Kobe, area which has various architecture throughout the city resembling parts of Europe and Japan. From there we made our way to the 7pm reservation for our taste of authentic Kobe beef. A little background about the Kobe beef, first of all the cows are fed beer and massaged as they grow. The biggest difference is that the fat on this beef is actually part of the meat itself unlike our beef at home. The chef prepared the meal right in front of our table. The meal included fresh garlic slices which were then grilled into chips, tofu, potatoes, mushrooms, zucchini, salad, soup, and finally the Kobe beef. Everything was delicious even the mushrooms which I do not like; however, I must specifically tell you about the Kobe beef.

The Kobe beef I did not believe prior to going would differ from our beef at home by much. I mean come on beef is beef………WRONG! This beef literally melted in your mouth. You can easily cut it with a fork. When you place the beef in your mouth just pressing your tongue towards the roof of your mouth starts allowing the meat to dissolve. The meat itself was a consistency almost of a warm moist brownie. The flavor of the beef plain without any sauce, salt or pepper is just as amazing. Now for the fat of the meat you could almost not tell the difference between the meat and the fat because it was that good! This Kobe beef is worth it if you ever come across the chance to try an authentic piece I can only try to describe this but even that just is not enough!

From dinner we headed off to bar hop and see how the locals did it. Our first bar had normal western R&B/hip hop music, but was very small like 15x15. The crowd was good and had more tourists than locals. About 45mins into it a live band came to perform. Shortly after that we headed to a different bar with more locals where we had a drink as we waited on Loic`s friends. When his friends arrived, we then left to go to another location were we could all fit at a table. After great conversation with great people we headed back to the station. Again, Loic and his friends were awesome people to hang out with. His friends looked up our train for us, walked us up to the gate to make sure we went where we needed to. All I can say is thanks!

Now the next day we woke up and did not make it to Universal Studios. We may make an attempt tomorrow but we were told the one in the U.S. is far better so we figured passing on it. The good news about that is I finally found a plate of big servings! We went to a restaurant by the internet cafe were I ordered fried rice with beef. The meal and I were destined to find each other because one, I do not like corn and all the fried rice here has corn…not this one! Then I thought it was just plain beef…not this one it came with a glazed sauce almost like from my favorite Chinese meal general tso`s chicken. Finally it came in a huge bowl where I actually had to push the last few bites down, I guess from eating so little my stomach shrunk, but it was so good to be full for once!

Tomorrow we head over to Hiroshima for the day…..so more comments to follow most likely after we have departed from this great country.

PS-I wanted to add that to date this trip has been amazing with my wife by my side. Many would think there at some point we would be fighting or arguing with spending every waking and sleeping for that matter moment together, but not here. I always tell her she is my everything and this trip is just allowing actions to show it more and more…..I love you babe!

PS-S- Just so you all know there is a bet going on between my cupcake John, and my munchkin Ely that I can not last the entire trip without shaving my head or my face. For those who may not know going past a week without shaving my balding head is rough; however, I am approaching the 1 month mark. So to my 2 little Chiquita’s daddy not letting up yet! lol





Additional things to note:



1. Locals use san at the end of your name as a sign of respect. So last night we were Bobby-san and Tamika-san.

2. Karaoke is huge over here and Loic told us that its pretty cheap and fun to go to with a group of friends.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Bobby-san and Tamika-san,

    As always, lots of fun hearing of your travels. Hey, when you went on the train in Japan was it like this one in Tokyo? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIQfmlMo8n0 ;)

    -Cousin Brian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Bobby-san and Tamika-san,

    As always, great to hear of your travels. Hey, when you went on the train in Japan was it like this one in Tokyo? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIQfmlMo8n0 ;)

    -Cousin Brian

    ReplyDelete